Friday, June 17, 2016

Book Review: The Falling Machine by Andrew P. Mayer


Just finished reading this one and thought I'd give a review of it here.  In a word?............... Lame!!


When I first found 'The Falling Machine' listed on GoodReads, I thought the premise of superhero organization meets Steampunk sounded really interesting.  The concept was great so I was really looking forward to a great story. Needless to say, I was sorely disappointed.  What could have been a marvelous story turned out to be an epic fail.


The writing style was so dry and boring I almost quit during the first chapter. However, I hate not finishing a book so I stuck it out hoping it would get better............ it didn't.  I found the narrative cumbersome and difficult to follow. One moment you were following Sarah, the next you'd be off with someone else without any warning or indication of any kind. It does this throughout the whole book, switching back and forth following at least 5 different sets of characters and there is never any warning. The change could literally be the very next paragraph with no indication prior that you were finished following the previous character until suddenly you find yourself following someone else and seeing their thoughts.  There were also ending/grammar issues (missing words, etc.) that made the book even harder to get through.


The characters? I hated them all. The only two characters that were even remotely likable are killed off. I know Sarah was supposed to be a fiery, independent young woman, but I found her to be highly annoying, overly feminist, and a bit of a brat at times. Nathaniel, who I think is supposed to be in love with Sarah, is a huge chauvinistic jerk and her father is almost as bad.


As to the plot? I found it extremely vague and lacking. Even at the end you are still left guessing as to what exactly the story is all about. Sure you get bits of information here or there, but not enough to really make the plot make sense.


The only good thing for me about this book was the end. Not that I found it to be satisfactory, but that I was thrilled to be finished with it so I wouldn't have to suffer through any more of it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment